Saturday, May 06, 2006

GW campus life? You're on notice.

Played some capture the flag tonight down here in FoBo. It made me realize how much I miss growing up in a town with one cop. First of all, I nearly got hit by a car crossing the neutral zone (incidentally, G Street was the neutral zone). Immediately after that, I got heckled by drunken frat boys. They managed to assemble enough neurons to command their slack-jawed mouthes to enunciate and tell me that they "would have laughed if [I'd] have gotten hit by that car." Yeah. And I'll laugh when you all get venereal disease from spending too much time wrapped up in groupie beef curtains. Fucking frats.

Back to the whole thing with the cops, the problem in D.C. is that the po-po are all up in our collective grills all day and all night.
The problem with D.C. is that since it's a terrorist target, it's not like other big cities in that the police are so preoccupied with the bad parts of town that they rarely venture into the good parts. MPD is everywhere. The UPD presence is also going to be heavier next year, and since I'll be working for the Dean of Students' office, I can't even afford to get written up by UPD -- I'll lose my free housing and stipend, and I'm too poor to give those things up.

Honestly, between the huge University Police department and the constant Metro police presence, I'm lucky I didn't get arrested for peeing in Kogan while I was flag-capturing. What I miss most is pointless, harmless vandalism (and being able to pee at will... to a lesser extent). One of the most fun nights I've had in the past few years was in high school and we got bored at Dooley's house. Well, getting bored wasn't the good part, obviously. Burying Kyle's car in snow while he was at his girlfriend's house was the fun part. That, and writing "BOOBS" in 40-foot letters on the hill in front of the school. That and then covering Ide's windshield with Hostess cupcakes. The point is, you can't get away with fucking with people's shit in the city.

Furthermore, "off-campus housing" consists mostly of people's apartments, and occasionally a townhouse in a row of other townhouses. You can't fill a person's mailbox with deli meat if they live in an apartment building. You can't build obscene snow sculptures in front of people's houses if they don't have a yard. You can't smear mayonnaise on someone's windows if they don't have a car. I guess I just need to find another outlet for m mischeviousness.

Along those same lines, I find myself hanging out with the younger guys more and more. All the older friends of mine seem to much more interested in sitting around watching TV and drinking beer than doing something like this capture the flag game we recently had. I guess I'm not ready to be an adult yet. Or something.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home