Status report 25 April 2006
I'll probably have a little stream of consciousness going here, but whatever. Stream of consciousness reminds me of my junior year of high school, in English class, because we were assigned some paper where we had to write in stream of consciousness. But that reminds me how we had "Chautauquas" which had a Native American name for some hippy reason I'm sure. Basically it was a Socratic discussion, driven by us students. And finally, that reminds me of the joke my friends and I had about doing a "Chautauqua dance" every time our teacher mentioned it, because the whole concept of calling it a Chautauqua was ridiculous and humorous. Hi-yuh-uy-yuh, hi-yuh-uy-yuh... Those were the good days with Marc, Lokys, Eric, Ben, Kyle, Jeff and I causing general mayhem and defying all the stupid cliques in our high school (which incidentally was only 550 students).
Anyways, the time has come to start considering songs for the 2006 ultimate video. This is very arduous as my music tastes are very limited. Especially in the genres that everyone else likes. Granted, I have everything on my computer from Pantera to Beethoven's symphonies, to a capella music, but I just don't explore music as much as other people. Especially not via iPods, which will destroy civilization as we know it, rest assured. Just part of the anti-social revolution, of course. I have, however, taken a liking to the New Pornographers, one of the bands that Linc likes. I can't decide how to deal with that. I make fun of him for being "emo" all the time, but apparently these guys aren't really emo, they're more "indie." Whatever the fuck that means, I dunno, I just like a bunch of their songs, especially "Use It." I think it's an awesome song. Not that I would use it for the video... that would just invite cinematographic rebellion. I have also taken a liking to Blackalicious. He is quite clever.
Alas, Regionals! We got a three-seed, which is a gift from on high. We'd better use it. I'm excited to play, certainly, but when you are Slavic you tend to be pessimistic and worry too much. Given this, I can certainly feel the Polak-, Lithuanian-, and Russian-ness coursing through my veins. I am nervous enough to compare to my track days before big races. There's a lot of redemption to be had, especially against Delaware. Man... looking back, that game was a train wreck. I cannot believe how badly I played. Not only that but one of our studs had the worst game of his career (self-admitted). I need to calm down... or maybe instead drive myself crazy like I used to do before track meets. Hey, it got me an All-State title...
It will also be awkward to be around Pitt. For those of you who are abroad or live in a hole or whatever, I now have a Facebook group dedicated to me, thanks to Pitt Ultimate and a bizarre series of events leading to the discovery of my blog by... well... their entire team I guess. Check it out: http://gwu.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2200884785 . A wonderful display of internetting, indeed. Since the picture of me with the sword ended up there (somehow), I will briefly describe the story behind it. That sword is a family heirloom because one of my crazyass Polak-American relatives was fighting in the Pacific and took it off the battlefield. Or so the family story goes. It is safely in my basement at home, I will not be busting it out and goring anyone with it (I checked and GW has a strict anti-sword rule for the dorms...).
Anyways... Regionals... next big thing in my life. I've been eating well all week, after the chocolate- and donut-fueled nutritional debacle that was last weekend. Also, I've been working especially hard in swimming class (yes, I just learned how to swim this semester... don't even start...) and getting in some good workouts. I think I may even go to the pool of my own volition this Friday before we leave, to get in a loosening-up workout. Hopefully I won't swallow too much pool water and get sick again.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home