Thursday, May 25, 2006

Dumpster diving

Monday was the day that everyone who had stayed for Commencement, or had extended stay, had to move out of the dorms. At a school where it costs nearly 50K to take classes in departments like "Decision Management," the people who end up going here tend to be... well, loaded. So, when they leave the dorms, sometimes the decision is made to throw out a 35" TV rather than expend the effort to take it home. Needless to say, someone who works in my department scavenged that very 35" TV from the trash room last year.

With the promise of 35" TVs fresh in my mind, and with my car here in the city for the summer, Monday night was blocked off for Scavenging Methods 104 with Prof. M Gigabyte Silverman. We went to Ivory Tower and New Hall, but finding little more than paltry lamps and vases just asking to be chucked down trash chutes, the group dispersed, leaving only those determined to capitalize on free shit. Thurston was cleaned out, which was odd considering how many things freshmen think they need, but then don't. Not only that but cleaning out a dorm that houses 1500 people is no small task. Either way, the place was spic-and-span, so in desperation we took one last stab at 1959 E Street, a junior/senior dorm.

Jackpot. Every floor had a trash room filled to the ceiling with trash and goodies, not to mention piles of stuff spilling out into the hallways and elevator lobbies. Gigabyte came out of the endeavor with a new set of dishware (clean and unused - still in the box) in addition to several unopened food items. At one point in the night I literally dove into a pile of trash, and I wish I had a camera because seeing my legs sticking up out of a pile of trash would amuse a lot of people I'm sure. What I looted was not amazing, consisting of dishwasher detergent, a can of maple syrup for pancakes, and 6th place trophies thrown out by members of GW's parliamentary debate team. Suckers. I have a five-pound bag of pancake mix, too. It's opened, but I'm sure I can find something creative to do with it, like drop it on a gang of gypsy children or something.

What I want to know is where all the fucking 35" TVs went. I pawed through all sort of dirty unmentionables, inhaled an entire semester's worth of dust when I dove into that pile of air filters, and came out smelling like the Quizbum... WHERE THE FUCK IS MY TV??

I have also secured a job. I imagine that it will be somewhat less than entertaining. I am working on a docketing database for a law firm here in D.C. It's $12 an hour and they want me to work as close to full-time as possible. They also don't care about my summer classes, or the fact that I'm going home for my sister's graduation. Score. Anyway, for now it's off to College Nationals to get rid of this jersey tan, heckle Pitt and Delaware, and find my buddies from IU who will also be spectating.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home