Thursday, May 18, 2006

Done! ... for four days...

Summer is here! Well, sort of. I mean, the spring semester has ended. Now on to summer classes and hopefully a summer job. I applied to work at the Cold War International History Project, a part of the Woodrow Wilson center down in the Reagan Trade Complex. It's a pretty well-known entity; they go through old Soviet archives, document them, organize them, and publish them and such. Really cool stuff if you are nostalgic for the Cold War, as I am (mmmm... mutually assured destruction...)

The problem is that they're taking their sweet time getting back to me! I interviewed two weeks ago. I emailed them last week asking 'yo, what's up, when will I know?' and I didn't get an email back. At all. Then a friend of mine who interns there asked the guy I interviewed with - he said notifications would go out on Tuesday. Then I emailed them yesterday. Still nothing! Not even a 'just keep waiting.' What the fuck? I was originally going to wait, then determine when to go home after I had secured some kind of employment. But now, fuck it, I'm going home and I'm bringing my car back with me, which is going to be dimebag. I figure it makes more sense because I'm going to be going back home for Kate's graduation in June anyhow... not only that but...

I can drive out to Nationals - woo! Now I just need a place to put my car, and a place to stay somehow. I hope it is fun, honestly, I love ultimate, but just watching games for three days solid in Columbus, OH can't be that fun. Crew would help, I'm sure. As it is now, it should be me and Linc, so that we can improve our relationship.

In other news, I am now at intermediate-high proficiency for Russian! I'm really pretty ecstatic about that because I was only supposed to be intermediate-mid. I could have made advanced-low if I had a different interviewer, I swear. The problem was that I had the chair of the department, who's a huge pain in the ass when it comes to proficiency interviews. I made the mistake of mentioning that I work in the Housing Department. He decided to make my role-playing situation as such: I am the liason between a group of American students studying abroad in Russia and the Housing Department. There is a problem with the arrangements. Fix it. Game set and match: that guy.

I also got a C+ in International Trade Economics -- the lowest grade I've ever gotten in any level of school in any class ever. Fuck you, John Maynard Keynes, I don't much care for you, or your models for fiscal and monetary stimuli. Now I'll have to think about how the people I assassinate in the future will affect aggregate demand and GNP. And at that moment, I'll get confused and lose my concentration and get captured by some Uzbek army bozo. Whatever. Now I'm done with Econ forever.

Anyhow, I have some good material for later on, once I get my shit together in my apartment for the summer. This way, I can actually write about funny stuff rather than stupid autobiographical nonsense.

PS - if you know anyone in Columbus, OH that I can stay with, please email me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home