So what goes in the box?
Just got back from another book-gathering foray.
Once again, every computer in the entire effing library was in use, mostly for facebook and online message boards. I knew this going in though, and I was feeling more circumspect today anyways. I walked down the block to the Psych building, to get logged into the library system and do more book-combing (incidentally, using the Google for this purpose is pretty damn useful).
Anyways, I managed to do a pretty good job of freaking out the girl next to me. My life at this point in the year is pretty uninteresting, grueling in fact, in an academic sense anyways. I'm trying to do a historiographical essay, where I have to locate all the best sources, figure out what point the author is trying to make, and then write an essay about it. Finding the sources is the hard part, really all you have to do after that is just read the intro and conclusion, regurgitate it, and organize the vomit into neat little vomit-piles.
So basically, my topic is "The Small Peoples of the North & Siberian Peoples." Sounds broad, I mean, Siberia is a pretty big place. Yes, maybe so, but few people in English-speaking academia give a shit about the Nentsy, Chukchi, Khanty-Mansi, Evenki, etc. etc. etc. It's pretty rare to locate a source, and even using the library system takes a while.
Back to the computer lab, so whenever I locate a source, it's one of those victories mentioned previously. This usually elicits a fist pump, or a whisper of "fuckin' [dimebag/sweet/cromulent]." Even so, at least half of the time, the book does not exist at our library or is somehow already checked out. These books are some of the most esoteric shit you can find, who the hell other than me is checking them out?? Whoever they are, I have recalled the shit out of them. The deadline is fast approaching, though, so recalling books is getting more and more futile, and therefore, just when I think I found a great book for my project, wham, checked out or only available at IUPUI (in Indy). That is most definitely a defeat. And that elicits a slightly loud whisper of "Fucking garbage!" and/or a light desk slam. Either way, the girl next to me probably thought I escaped from some psych test upstairs.
Anyways, that has pretty much nothing to do with the title, or motivation for posting.
In said computer lab, there is a lost and found box. Pasted onto the side of said box, there is a sign stating:
"If you are searching for a tangible item (purse, wallet, ID card) and a consultant is not on duty, please call x-xxxx for assistance.
All other items are placed in this box."
So what will I find in the box? Certainly not tangible items, the sign says I'll have to call the number if I want to find my tangible items. Maybe there's happiness inside? A rainbow? My dignity?

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home