Monday, December 01, 2008

Small victories

I like to see every day as a collection of small victories and small defeats. Today was an exemplary day for this.

10:54am - Wake up late, despite having 100 pages of Crime & Punishment to read before leaving for class at 12:35. Defeat.

11:10am - Remember that my rent is due. Victory.

11:12am - Hand check to minion at office downstairs. Find small package from home in mailbox. Victory.

11:13am - Go back upstairs to find that the air pressure created by closing downstairs door has caused my door (with locked doorknob) to shut. Am now locked out. Defeat.

11:14am - Remember that landlord, with spare key, works in office downstairs! Victory.

12:17pm - Finish reading assignment. Proud of reading skills. Victory.

12:18pm - Remember that answers to prep questions were also due before Thanksgiving, but professor told me I could hand them in next class. Forgot about this. Defeat.

12:35pm - Leave house. It's snowing. I like snow. Victory.

1:00-2:15pm - Clearly am the only one who has read the chapters. Reluctantly answer questions when classmates fail at being smart. Am a stud. Victory.

2:16pm - Breathe sigh of relief because professor did not say anything about lack of prep questions, even as he handed out the corrected copies of other students' prep questions. Note to self: do this before Wednesday. Victory.

2:18pm - Leave Ballantine, head for library to print out lengthy weekly reading assignment courtesy of academic badass Toivo Raun (update: he now may actually speak seven languages, up from the previous estimate of five). Miss shortcut to library because too busy thinking about registering the domain name "highly.dubio.us." Defeat.

2:30pm - Arrive at library, Information Commons is crammed with business clowns working on groupfuck projects. Defeat.

2:32pm - Walk around to try and miraculously find a workstation. See several people on Facebook. Blood boiling. Defeat.

2:35-3:35pm - Hit the stacks, find an unused workstation in the bowels of the library. Find several books previously not thought to exist. Victory.

3:38pm - Arrive at self-checkout desk. Where's my IU ID? Normal spot in wallet vacant. Now will awkwardly have to go to circulation desk and find a way around it. Not to mention that I have no idea when I may have lost the ID. Defeat.

3:38.5pm - Girl walks up to circulation desk, asks what she has to do to check out books because she forgot her wallet. Ha! That's my question! Victory.

3:40pm - Go to downstairs library food court. Get Chick-Fil-A. I love Chick-Fil-A. Victory.

3:55pm - Check Info Commons again, looking for a computer. See girl sitting at one workstation, and friend in chair adjacent. Adjacent girl occupying space of, but not even logged-in to, workstation. Blood boils. Again. Defeat.

3:56pm - Find open computer! Victory.

3:56pm - It's a Mac. Do I even know how to print duplex pages on a Mac? Defeat.

3:57pm - It freezes up immediately following login. Fucking Macs. Defeat.

4:00pm - Leave library, still snowing, figure I'll take the bus since it's now past clown-hour in terms of bus crowding. Stand at bus stop for three minutes. Realize that without my ID I can't get on the bus. Or I could pay, but seriously who pays for the bus in Bloomington? Defeat.

4:09pm - Walking home, past the psych building. Remember that there's a nice clandestine computer lab in the psych building. Walk in, taking a shot in the dark, boom! Several vacant computers beckoning. Victory.

4:40pm - Amidst printing readings, check the markets. DE-FEAT.

5:07pm - Check bus schedule, realize next bus is coming in 3 minutes. Victory.

5:08pm - Leave psych building, ream of paper in backpack. Think it would be funny if Dr. Raun was an environmentalist, since every week each student kills at least a tree's worth of paper printing his readings. Walk to bus stop. FUCK I HAVE NO ID CARD. Defeat.

5:30pm - Arrive home. See crackies amassing in adjacent parking lot for weekly addiction services meeting. Glad I didn't call the cops the first time I saw this happen, not knowing I lived next to such a place. Sigh.

5:31pm - Pants off. Victory.

5:32pm - Find ID card in pocket of Under Armour zip-up. Victory!

Not sure if this works as a post, but I thought today was a good day to try it out. 15 victories to 13 losses and I didn't even have to pad the stats. I'm such an optimist.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home