Philosophy of sport... probably a class at some state school
I'd like some perspectives on this, so please do comment if you have the desire to do so.
I was party to a discussion this evening about goals and goal-setting. Members of IUs team who were in attendance were mad that others on the team didn't think the team could make it to Nationals this year.
In fact, one side of this argument was saying that your goal should be Nationals, every year. They disparaged those on the team who said that Nationals was out of reach for our team this year (or any year). When asked, I did not come down on that side of the argument.
It's an interesting discussion. I can see both sides, and as much as I was driving home tonight wanting to come down hard on one side or the other, I can't definitively swing the sledgehammer of fallacy on the other side of that argument.
I definitely lean towards setting attainable goals, though. I think that a lot of people want to make themselves out to be badasses, trying to seem like tough guys around others by setting an absurdly high bar for themselves. Honestly, if shooting for Nationals every year makes you work harder, then by all means make that your goal. I just don't think it's appropriate to criticize others for being sceptical about the chances and wanting to set more attainable goals.
When I came here, I was 90% sure that I would not be going to Nationals again. I knew that from the first tournament, when a bunch of our starting players toked up behind a fence during our bye round. Does that mean I didn't give 100% at every tournament? Does that mean I didn't spend a whole shitload of my free time in the weight room or taking the time to prepare healthy food? I challenge anyone to contradict me on those points.
On the other hand, everyone should be constantly striving to be the best they can be. I think that's a basic aspect of athletes and competitors in general. Otherwise, why compete? Most of the people who read this blog know me pretty well, and know that I'm pretty competitive about basically everything. At the same time, I don't think I can come down on the side of "Everyone should be striving for Nationals every year." I will admit, though, that I have a hard time directly answering the question of "Why not?"
In the case of IU specifically, I don't see how people can set Nationals as a reasonable goal after barely making it out of Sectionals last year. I think first and foremost, IU should be worried about making it out of Sectionals. Believe me, I know what happens when you start to look past Sectionals...
Furthermore, IU has two (2) established handlers. I look back on the old g-dub teams that made it to the games-to-go and we had handler lines that were four, five, six handlers deep. Sophomore year -- Ben, Bert, Tufsky, Timmy, Snaus. Junior year -- Tufsky, Lasky, DJ, Shed, Lyle, Pete. (Sorry if I missed anyone, I really have to get to this translation...)
The point is, g-dub was an extremely deep team with a lot of people who had Regionals-level and Nationals-level experience. We also never finished lower than fourth in our region while we were there. In contrast, for a team that finished 15th of 16 at Regionals last year, going to Nationals is 100% not a reasonable goal. Beyond that, I think it's completely fallacious to assume that just because someone doesn't think the Mama?s can make it to Nationals, they won't be trying their best every time they step on the field. That is simply absurd.
I guess really the only logical argument against the strive-for-Natties argument is that an unattainable goal is pretty much useless. Even that argument, though, mostly ends there.
What can those of you who still read my blog add to that? I'm interested to hear some arguments, because it's hard for me to directly address the comments my friends were making.

7 Comments:
House, you're in an interesting position at IU. Most teams I've been a part of (playing for or coaching) just missed either Regionals or Nationals the previous year. And they say to themselves "Not only can we make that next level tournament but have a meaningful game there."
It sounds like you're going into a difficult Section working to make it to Regionals; and then into Regionals with a steep battle to Sunday. But this is all some seven months in the future...
It may help the team morale and focus to set some Fall goals right now and then set Spring goals in January. By doing this:
1) your heads aren't in the sand all Fall (and Spring?) wishing you would be a Tier 1 team when you ain't winning like it; or
2) your heads are in the clouds this Fall cause your pre-season results are stellar and you're sure you're unstoppable.
Reasonable goals for the Fall could be a. attending at least a tournament a month, b. winning at least one tournament, c. recruiting twice as many rookies as the sophomore class. Certainly start with the end in mind (the national championship) but I think y'all should be setting and talking about goals that are shorter term.
my 2 dirhams
As the captain of a team that is...steps...from Nationals, I understand. We have the benefit of being able to plan for a year ahead (no graduation).
Part of it is a personal issue. You need to set goals for yourself -- develop a throw, get faster/stronger, make a certain line or contribution. Examining those goals really help keep your mind on the game at hand, not the game you wish you are playing.
Don't lose the forest for the trees! The journey of college ultimate is far more fun than the destination. I have great memories from Nationals, but also great memories from 3 year of San Diego, Purple Valley, and Terminus (not a "fun" tournament). I remember my favorite loss -- when we almost upset Darkside after they wrecked us a month earlier.
At some point, I predict that the second/third tier teams will create some alternative tournament. The series is great, but that "inevitable soul-crushing loss" gets old. See D-III nationals. Until then: Battle, train, throw. Make love to foosball tables.
House,
I agree with you that it is important for a team (and individuals) to set achievable goals. I think Nationals is okay as your final goal, even if you don't think that is achievable as long as you have other goals along the way that are within reach.
Consider this:
In 2003, G-dub was coming off of its first nationals appearance and graduated most of the A team including the team founders. We were left with 18 or 19 guys on the roster, most of whom only had B team experience. That team's goal was improve our fitness, learn to play together, and bring back the Colonial Cup. But the ultimate (probably unachievable) goal was nationals. The men's listserv was called "Going to Austin" so the nationals goal was out there. So once we made regionals, all of the sudden, that goal seemed to be more in reach. We were in the game to go and didn't make it.
In the end, we achieved most of the goals leading up to qualifying for nationals, we were deeper into regionals than anyone would have predicted in the fall, we beat Cornell for the first time in a meaningful game, and everyone felt the season was successful.
Okie Joe
Pitt went from 13th (I think) in it's Section in 2003 to Nationals Qualifier in 2004. This was a result of few graduations, a good recruiting class in 2003, and team-wide mindset that we could absolutely compete with any team we played, among other things. It is infact possible. It has been done.
Pitt didn't qualify in 2004. Natties 04 was us and Delaware. That was my freshman year (03-04). Is it possible that you just messed up the years?
In any case, I'm not saying it's impossible. I'm just saying that I don't see why it's taboo to have reasonable goals, and why these other guys were implying that just because a player doesn't expect to make nationals, that means that somehow they are not giving their all.
Hell, IU doesn't even know who its third handler on offense is going to be, much less who's going to handle on D. And yet the people making this argument were saying that anyone who doesn't have Nationals as a goal is somehow committing sacrilege.
Yeah the years got mixed up. We sucked in 04 and then qualified in 05.
I think you gotta figure out (as a team) why the hell you're even playing the game. Is it to have a good time and play some games (and then go party)? Or are you playing to go out and give yourself a chance to win every single game? Are you the type of team that is playing just to play, or are you playing to crush some bitches? Figure out your team persona, then set goals accordingly.
Wes,
I think that is 100% not the issue. Remember, this team is only two years removed from Nationals, and they know what it's like to win. These guys are not in this to party, at least the 90% of them that are committed.
I'm just saying that after the disaster last year, it's unreasonable to demand that everyone's goal be Nationals this year. If individual players think that their goal should be Nationals, that's fine, great, I hope it motivates them.
My problem is when these two guys made it seem like even mentioning a goal that was less than Nationals (top 10 at Regionals, for example, which I think is a good goal for this year's team) -- anyone suggesting this was somehow traitorous, not giving 100% to the team.
I think that is a false and destructive assumption. It's just unnecessary machismo. If it pumps you up to set the bar really, really high, that's fine, but it's not okay to act superior to one's teammates just because they aim for more achievable goals.
I hope I'm elucidating things a little bit more here, because I really do not think it's a question of if IU wants to win or party. It's also hard for me because I never was on a team whose goal was not Nationals. Then again, I never finished last at Regionals before last year... maybe that skews my perspective a little bit.
Shit, maybe it's just my genes. We East Europeans are a pretty pessimistic people for various historical reasons.
-DJhS
Post a Comment
<< Home