Sunday, June 08, 2008

Communications blackout (LT update 1)

Greetings from the US Embassy in Vilnius, Lithuania.

Before my departure, I had promised people that it'd be easy to get in touch with me and that I'd for sure be in communication with people back home. Just as a disclaimer, I'm finding it very hard to do that, so please bear with me. The only internet access I have is through work. Unfortunately, the powers-that-be have blocked access to all instant-messaging-type programs (including Meebo). So even when, like now, I have free time, I have to use the internet via Embassy computers. Thus, no capability to use any kind of IM program. And yes, even GChat has been blocked by the network guys.

Sooo, there's that. I just thought everyone should know. Beleive me, nothing would be more pleasing to me than to go home and chat with everyone on my computer, but unfortunately there is no internet in my on-compound apartment and even if there were, I would wager dollars to donuts that all IM utilities would still be blocked.

I'm not going to talk a ton about work for fear of violating some silly protocol. I'll say this for work. I work with the Regional Security Office and sometimes it's interesting and busy but I'd say at least half the time I have nothing to do. Having nothing to do really sucks, I'd rather be doing bitch work than just sitting at my desk falling asleep. I will say that I'm getting a lot of investing research done, though. Anyways, I am sure that me posting to Blogger will get noticed by the network guys, so I'll stick to other things for now.

The weather here has been fantastic. For the whole two weeks I have been here, I'm not sure if the temperature has ever been below 60 or over 80. There hasn't really been any significant rain. I actually need to go outside more. The problem is that I forgot my damn running shoes, so aside from ultimate I'm not getting any exercise. Of course, I bring my cleats but not my running shoes.

I play ultimate once per week. The best team in Vilnius are the Zepps. I suppose they practice more in the winter, because right now, what I go to doesn't really resemble practice at all. It's best described as team-led pickup. The team guys are always there, but then a random other assortment of clowns shows up to play as well. It doesn't seem to be super-competitive, but it does seem more competitive than, say, co-ed at g-dub, or community pickup games in Bloomington.

People in Lithuania are much better at ultimate than I previously thought. That's not to say it's a popular sport, but the people I play with seem quite good (most of them). Almost everyone involved in these games has a flick and a backhand. Most of the team guys can huck, too, and they really do like the upside-down shit. Some of them know English, most know at least a few words. Playing ultimate while people are giving directions in a language you don't understand is very disconcerting. They did a break-mark drill where everything was backwards (i.e., coming out of the line you throw rather than mark, and then you run break after you're done marking... took me 15 minutes just to get that through my head and by then the drill was over.).

I wish we played more often, but for now it seems that once per week is all the team can manage. I was anticipating some tournaments, too, but they all seem to be beach ultimate tournaments. I guess when your summer is this short and the winters are so tough, you have to enjoy the beach as much as you can. That said, I don't anticipate going to any tournaments unless I'm in a really good mood and able to overcome my hatred of beach ultimate.

Other than that, I try to go out on Fridays and Saturdays. So far I've gone out during the week only once or twice. The interns here from other embassies (Danes, Norwegians, an Irishman, etc.) get together once a week or so for beers. Also, there is an American Fulbrighter doing linguistics research here. TheFulbrighter knows the city and the language and is good company on weekend nights. She also knows all of the Marines in our guard detachment, and after meeting her at the first Marine house happy hour to which I went, I started to get to know all of the Marines here.

Knowing the Marines has many, many benefits. First, they have a driver, so if you go out with the Marines, you are guaranteed to be chauffeured home. All they have to do is make a phone call and the Lithuanian driver-on-call will be there in a few minutes. It's like 4-RIDE except it's fast and convenient. Second, they have the real internet, and so they can download things like the fourth season of Lost (I watched all of it between yesterday and today -- it's no Season 1 but certainly not a bad way to pass the time). Third, they have a bar in their house. 'Nuff said. Fourth, they have a large collection of American movies. So yeah, it pays to know these guys. And of course, it's nice to have people my own age here who are good company and enjoy going out (although not all the Marines go out, only some).

I suppose I'll leave it at that for now. I'm sure I'll think of other things and try to post them soon. I'm doing all right aside from hemorrhaging money, but I kind of knew that was going to happen anyways. I hope everyone is well, and please feel free to send me a note any time since all I've got is email at this point.

Iki.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home