An open letter to my teammates
For some of you, your career playing this sport is just beginning. For those in the second or third years of playing, you're beginning to realize that the success or failure of the team is more and more dependent on your level of play. For me, though, and I'm sure for the rest of the seniors, this year is about legacy, and a return to the top of the Metro East region.
As a freshman, I had the privilege of being part of a team that worked hard enough to earn a berth at Nationals. There I was, standing on the line at the pinnacle of college ultimate... having learned what a flick was only nine months earlier. That year, we defeated Illinois for g-dub's first-ever win at College Nationals. As short as the time in between seems to me, that was a long time ago. Too long ago. I see absolutely no reason why we cannot win our region this year. I want to make it clear, though, that beating Pittsburgh, Delaware and the other competitive teams in our region starts with you. Obviously, each person should have their own set of goals for this upcoming season, but I want to at least take this opportunity to remind people of a few basic things to keep in the back of your head as the season progresses towards the college series.
Over the course of the spring, every single person will make mistakes; however, the way in which you deal with them is ultimately what will determine your development as a player, and our success as a team. When you make a mistake, and someone points it out, you need to listen. If you're having trouble with something, chances are that the veterans have not only had to fix that problem in their own game, but have maybe even helped another person on the team fix that same problem. Give us a chance to help you -- we know what we're doing, and at least for me, in addition to the I-want-to-win factor, I genuinely want each and every one of you guys to develop into a superior player.
When you're told to do something differently, make improvements, not excuses. If you just did something questionable on the field, and someone tries to give you advice, a detailed explanation as to why you messed up is not always productive. We are concerned most of all with ensuring a mistake does not repeat itself. Trust that the older guys know what needs to be done, and just do it. Implement the advice, but if you still don't get it (and this happens to the best of us), ask again. If the issue requires a detailed explanation, make sure it's done off the field, and not in the middle of something. Keep in mind also, we all do our best to give advice without yelling, but there are times when it just happens. The way I see it, if I'm yelling at you, it's because I know you should be doing better, and I'm disappointed that you're not playing the way I believe you are capable of playing. Don't take yelling personally, and don't fight it when people try to give you advice.
Although this point is fairly straightforward, I want to reiterate that attendance is absolutely paramount for the next three to four months. Missing practices for any circumstance short of monumentally exculpatory reasons is unacceptable. I as a player do not have as much confidence in people who miss practices as I do in people who show up every day and put in the work that needs to be done. Schoolwork must not be an excuse. Every class has a syllabus. I suggest you check yours. Don't miss practice.
Next, do something extra to get yourself in better physical shape. This can be something as simple as stretching every day before bed Ben-Spears-style to increase flexibility, or something as fundamental as improving your diet. Personally, I would recommend getting into some sort of routine in the weight room, especially those involving your core (chest, shoulders, abs, etc.). I recognize, however, that this can sometimes become time-consuming. The point is, do something besides simply what is asked of you.
Finally, all anyone can really ask for is that you work hard. Don't ever stop. When you're running a drill or doing plyos, don't stop before the finish line in any sort of drill - that's losing. Run hard through every drill, take one step beyond the finish line just to make sure you're not sluffing off at the end of a run just because you're tired. When a disc goes up and you think you just got burned, keep running -- you don't know if he's going to boink the disc or bobble it slightly. Adopt a winning attitude in every aspect of games, conditioning, practice, nutrition, whatever the case may be. The only thing any of us can truly control is ourselves. Cultivate a winning attitude in yourself, and keep in mind a few of the things I've mentioned -- just in the back of your head. We can do this. Now more than ever I believe in our team and most of all I believe in each one of you. This might be my last year at GW, it might not -- I don't know. But I'm playing as if my time were just about up as a member of g-dub ultimate, and I hope everyone else can get as pumped for this season as I am. Just know that we have to earn it. Doing so starts with you.

1 Comments:
Respect. Great post, great mentality, great message. You kick ass.
Post a Comment
<< Home