By popular demand
This is what I think about Regionals. Pretty much the only good thing about Regionals being in Edinboro is this: Regionals is NOT in Rochester. My dad's family is from there, and having been there numerous times on visits, it is the bleakest place on the East Coast. I'm sure the Erie/Edinboro area comes close, though. I'm definitely not happy that Regionals is pretty much at the far border of our region, but what can one do?
The discussion was suspiciously limited, as if the decision had already been made. Our Sectional Coordinator, who always seems more or less on top of things, emailed us with the potential locations: Rochester and Edinboro, the "only" two potential locales. Essentially, that's like someone asking "Would you rather have a root canal, or a colonoscopy?" Two days later, we were handed the decision that Regionals was to be held at Edinboro.
All that said, there's nothing I can do about it, and as much as I don't want to drive 7 hours to get there, I realize that Princeton was far for other teams, despite its convenience to us. So I really have no right raise a huge fuss, though I would certainly like to do so. To answer an earlier comment, yes, I was at Edinboro my freshman year, when we made Nationals after a revenge trouncing of Queens' in the game-to-go. I believe we can have a similarly good, if not better, showing this year. I only hope the weather is better. I literally got a mild case of hypothermia when I was up there for Regionals 2004. We actually went into a common room in one of the dorms in order to warm up during a bye round. My teammates had ratcheted up the heat to hellish levels, but even so, I was shivering uncontrollably sitting next to the heater going full-blast. I guess I'll just have to make sure Edinboro is not the last place at which I play ultimate for g-dub.
If any of you out there are looking for predictions, you're not going to get it. I might do something foolish like rank the most consistently successful team in the Metro East at 6th...

4 Comments:
Foolish? Absolutely. But I did claim they were wise. In fact I said, “Remember it's November, I haven't seen any of these teams play, and I made up half of what I just wrote on the spot.”
Despite my predictions I actually like GW, and I would personally rather see you at nationals than anyone else from the ME (Pittsburgh excluded, naturally).
Your tradition of consistent play in the region is deserving of respect, and perhaps I should have figured that into my rankings more prominently. As it is, there is plenty of time for more predictions.
It would certainly be pompous of me to believe that I could have any influence over the course of your season, but if you would like any assistance in the form of "bulletin board material" just let me know. I would be happy to spew forth nearly unlimited quantities of trash talk.
Third sentence should read: "But I did not claim they were wise"
Yeah, I understand that you punched that up on the fly essentially. That's why I didn't make a big fuss about it - just a little one-line rejoinder, for pride.
Thanks for your compliment. We like you guys too mostly. Just be it known that if we both end up at Natties, both g-dub AND Pitt need to represent the Metro East at the party - just like we and Delaware did my freshman year. Many a "METRO! EAST! METRO! EAST!" cheer was to be had that night. Bulb jumped naked into the convention hall pool. One of our guys brought a funnel and walked around atop someone else's shoulders all night funneling beers to people. We were so loud and obnoxious, the MC yelled at us via microphone. It was glorious.
I actually want to revise the stance I took. Reading what I wrote, I don't really like that I brought legacy into the picture. I don't think any team should expect a high level of respect based solely on their history. It's all about the now man.
That said, I mainly disagree with the sixth ranking because we only lost one senior. Granted, our loss was Jack Gaynor, one of the best ever to play at GW. But Pittsburgh lost one of its greatest-ever players in Sean, too. So why do we get knocked to sixth and y'all get kicked up to first? Highly dubious.
It's a moot point though, because like you said, not much hard evidence was to be had in making the original rankings in question. So it's all good.
What do these clown jerseys look like?
Jerseys are arriving late this week, so we should be ready to roll in Charlotte. Maybe we can get some pics.
Post a Comment
<< Home