Last post about my wrist... I promise
Thanks to everyone who has shown concern over the past couple of weeks. I finally had surgery last Thursday morning.
Anyhow, they basically sedated the crap out of me, to the point where a 2-hour chunk of time was completely vacant in my brain. Then, they stuck a bigass needle into the "nerve trunk" of my arm to numb the whole arm (the nerve trunk is in your armpit - glad I wasn't awake for that...). I was asleep, but not generally anaesthesized. General anaesthesia blows chunks, I had it with my first surgery in high school. This kind of anaesthesia, "block anaesthesia," is amazing and I recommend it to anyone. When you wake up, you're basically completely coherent. Especially compared to general...
I woke up after my 105-minute operation with a welcome sight in front of me, beckoning... buttered toast. Before the nurses even knew that I had come to, the toast was gone, and I was allegedly raising my hand really high to get their attention, and thus, more toast. Four pieces of toast later, I was coherent enough to realize that I did have a right arm, I just couldn't feel it. So I tried vainly to move it off of the tray-table in front of me, which only resulted in a wild jerk - more like a swift punch - into my stomach. Once they were satisfied that I could leave, they sent me home with my mom.
I came home to see my dad and my sister before they left to look at colleges down South. I was laying on the couch, my arm of course still completely numb, and they were leaving. My arm was elevated against the back of the couch as I had been told. But when I rolled over to say goodbye, my completely useless right arm came crashing down into my face. My dad and my sister, of course, went into hysterics after seeing me basically punch myself in the face try to say bye to them.
Later on, I started taking oxycodone and naproxen. I guess I sort of argued with the nurse over having to take hardcore meds, but she won out by telling me "Don't be a hero!" So while at home, still mostly anasthetized and on oxycodone, I watched Wheel of Fortune. I yelled vehemently at the TV for a few minutes before deciding that "game shows angry up the blood" and got up to walk around for a bit. Unfortunately, somehow I got on the computer. Worse still, I logged into Facebook and poked like a dozen people that I only kind-of know - including the captain of Pitt, my friend's roommate at IU, and the QB from our high school football team.
Rest assured, that the surgery was a success, and that I'll have my cast off by the beginning of second semester.
Rest assured, that the surgery was a success, and that I'll have my cast off by the beginning of second semester.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home