Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Verdict is 2-1 in favor of surgery

So after going to three separate doctors since "the incident," the final decision is surgery. Flashback. The doctor I saw in D.C. recommended surgery, but wasn't on my insurance. I came home to get surgery, by a doctor covered by my insurance. Okay. So I saw that doctor, who was not my first choice. My first choice was Dr. O'Donnell, who reconstructed my finger when I destroyed it playing football in high school. However, I couldn't get an appointment with him initially. So I ended up with the other guy, who took off my long-arm cast, had a look, told me "no surgery," and put on a smaller cast.

Since it was then a 1-1 deadlock of surgery vs. no surgery, I wanted to see if maybe Dr. O'Donnell had 15 minutes or so to give me his opinion. So, x-rays in hand (x-ray films anyways) I headed over to their office and asked if maybe he could just give me an opinion over the phone later on in the week, since I was going home the day after I saw him. Turns out he had a few spare minutes, so I got to see him there on the spot. He cut off my day-old cast, and after a couple additional x-rays, he determined that I do in fact need surgery. He gave me a brace (the fourth cast/brace I've had in two weeks), and told me that I'd have to come back NEXT week to have the operation. So that's where we stand, I'll be in DC until next Wednesday, then back to Durham, then back to D.C. on Friday. Wooo 24-hour turnaround from surgery. They'll be putting in a screw which will be in there forever. And I won't need PT, it's all stuff I can do on my own.

Most importantly, when I mentioned that my season started up again in February, he said that it was reasonable to think I'd be back by then. Until then, I'm working on my lefty throws. No joke.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home