Various reasons to be happy about life again
Well, it's been an interesting week back here in D.C. Obviously, I'm going back to Connecticut tomorrow to get my wrist surgery, but the fact of the matter is that there are a lot of reasons for optimism for the upcoming weeks and months.
No, I'm not intoxicated in any way.
First, I talked with the surgical coordinator today, and found out that I won't have a long-arm cast. This is key to actually being able to take my finals and finish all of my papers - it's much easier to type when you can move your elbow. Furthermore, the best news of all regarding this whole thing is that I may have my cast off before Christmas. I was blown away by this because it seemed, earlier, like I would have a cast on for like six weeks or so. This would have put a serious damper on my ability to keep in shape for the spring season (don't want to break a sweat when you've got a giant sweat-sponge on your arm... ew).
Secondly, I'm starting to be able to throw ambidextrously. With a little hard work (taking an hour or so each day to throw), my lefty throws are developing to the point where if my wrist isn't healed by our first tournament, I'll be able to throw lefty just as easily as I throw righty. Granted, it's unlikely I'll be able to huck, but since when do I do that anyhow?
Thirdly, I mentioned "our first tournament." Well, that tournament is in Las Vegas, Nevada on the weekend of February 11-12. People seem to think that I would be against going to such a tournament. Listen, I'm up for going anywhere I haven't been before. Especially if I get to fly on a plane to get there. And especially someplace as hedonistic as Vegas.
Fourthly, speaking of places I haven't been before, my Lithuania trip is looming on the horizon. Yes, I will be spending the New Year in the same country that my grandfather's ancestors thought was too shitty for them to live in. And the best part is... they're not on the euro. I'm going to throw my American dollars around and buy myself a king's ransom in Lithuanian crap.
Fifthly... CLLChair! I got a free chair from work which beats the shit out of the dumpy standard-issue chair I had before. Furthermore, this chair, although it's used and tends to lean to one side when you lean back, probably cost like $100 when it was new.
Despite all of this, though. This surgery kind of scares me. I know, I know... I've already had hand surgery once in the past (high school... QB rifled the ball to me on a hitch route somewhat shattering my finger). But still, surgery is scary. I'm not getting general anaesthesia - they're giving me something called "block anaesthesia," which I assume is not hitting you on the head with a cement block and getting to work. Apparently they numb your entire arm, sedate the shit out of you, and then cut you open. From what I understand, you're asleep the entire way, but I will assure the surgeon that if I wake up, I will freak out like a little girl.
My professors have been very understanding about the whole thing, but one of my professors did do something a little odd when I was describing the situation. In trying to be nice, he said "...and God forbid, if there's some kind of complication like a staph infection or something, we can carry over some of the work to next semester." STAPH INFECTION?! I hadn't even thought of that!!! Thanks a lot... dick... I shouldn't say that because that particular professor has been the most understanding of all. But still.
Anyhoo, stay tuned for a post-op update. Maybe I'll be really high on drugs when I write it. That will be fun for everybody.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home