Nothin' but used up porno and Ayn Rand
I like what Ayn Rand has to say.
When I was in Lithuania, I ended up tipsily debating a friend of mine on a couple of topics, including abortion and gay marriage. Ironically, in the feel-bad rainbow of political issues, those two are pretty low on my list. That's right, I care most about security (of course) and the economy (doubly of course).
This friend of mine was trying to convince me that if I learned anything from Ayn Rand, I should know that everything is black-and-white, and that I should say that either abortion is entirely wrong (as he believed) or entirely right in all cases. The fact is that while I don't really care about abortion as a political issue, I do have some philosophical things to say about it. I certainly do not believe that either of the above statements is true. Abortion is indeed tricky, and I am the first to admit it. The fact is that you can't say that an issue like abortion is entirely black-and-white, no matter how many fucking pages John Galt's speech is.
Furthermore, I think that in cases like abortion, where the debate is highly charged by morality, religion, and other touchy-feely non-objective stuff... it's intellectually lazy to believe that everything is black and white. It's so easy -- you can just convince yourself that everything in the world is black and white. So long as you choose white, you are always right. Well woo hoo for you, you've put about as much thought into this as you put thought into the decision to crap in the toilet instead of on the hood of your car.
I am by no means dumping on my friend for believing what he believed. He actually tried to cite some data to support his case, and make his argument empirical as opposed to philosophical or emotional like the drones who pass as activists in this political climate (he was saying that in Lithuania, some overwhelmingly large percentage of women who considered an abortion were glad they did not have one). I respect that. I think he was making a conclusion based on an incomplete data set, but still, kudos for making a real argument.
Anyways, I'm getting a little tangential, so back to the point. Where I do buy into Ayn Rand, part and parcel, is economically.
Specifically, I can't help but think about Ayn Rand every time I hear anyone from the Obama camp talk about economics. I was watching CNBC today and Larry Kudlow totally smacked some commie "fair economics" nerd with the shovel of fallacy. It was extremely gratifying because the whole conversation started out talking about Obama's tax plan. Gradually, Kudlow pressed the guy harder and harder, and just as they were about to go to commercial, the pinko came out with the word "fairness." There's the crux of what these people want -- they want things to be faaaaiiiirrrr...
Let's all be fair. Let's be fair to all the poor people who just can't seem to get ahead. Tell me, though... what is fair about taking almost half of a person's income? What the hell is fair about that?! I don't care what income bracket that person is in. Taking almost half of a person's earnings (as the Obama plan advocates, for households with over $250k in income) is wrong. Anyone who wants to refute that can try, but I don't understand how you can, in any logical way, say that it's okay for a person to be working January through June just to keep the government from throwing them in prison.
This is where the Ayn Rand stuff kicks in. People aim to make money. They put in work to make money. So, what's the fucking point if the government extorts half of it out of you? If you remove the possibility of making scads of money, you remove the incentive for innovation. The majority of people in this world don't do things because they are good for everyone else. People do things to benefit themselves.
The best part is, that's not a bad thing. I think I've talked about this before, so I'm not going to rehash it.
Something else that has come to mind, though, is about this whole rich-people-are-evil thing that our culture has bought into. I'm not that old, so I can't say "back in the old days," or anything. But I do think that I've been politically aware long enough to recognize changes. I think that in the past year or so, I've heard a lot more people bitching about the super-rich. But it's not just "Those rich guys should give more to charity," or "rich people should put their money to use helping their fellow man." This implies that rich people should change their thinking and that society as a whole should expect them to be more altruistic. Oh no, now it's changed to "Who needs all that money?" or "Why should someone earn that much while I can't afford a flat-screen TV?" This sentiment is different because it's more comparative -- why should someone else be living better than me? The implicit assumption here is that the government should be redistributing wealth so that I can have the money to buy that flat-screen I've always wanted. That, my friends, is communism.
Also, Kudlow raised another point that I hadn't thought about that much before. Rich people are not only the biggest earners, they are also the biggest spenders. Companies that cater to the needs of the above-average wage earner employ thousands if not millions of people.
If the Obama people get their way, they'll be sucking more money out of the rich people's pockets, sure. But rich people are going to think twice now before buying that rocket car or solid gold house. What does that mean for the doorknob polishers on the construction sites of solid gold houses? Or the guy who sticks on the sweet flame decals at the rocket car factory? They are not super-rich. But now, demand for their product is decreasing because rich people have less money to spend on ridiculous items. Jobs will be lost because of lagging demand. No one thinks about that though. I know this is an absurd example, but stick in something more believable -- like a worker at a high-end casino or a carpenter for a luxury home builder -- and the example still works.
Obama keeps preaching change, hope, recovery from this mess that Bush put us into. Yeah, okay, so we're supposed to recover by taking money out of the market (where both bazillionaires and decal applyers alike are working hard, motivated by their desire to make money) and putting it into the hands of the least efficient corporate entity in the country?! The government has no incentive to efficiently use that money. If the rocket car company doesn't use its money efficiently, it's going under. The government? Pff. It's been mismanaging the country's finances for years, but it sure as hell isn't going anywhere. Hell, if some small-cap defense company was caught earmarking money to research a potential "gay bomb," investors would put its stock price in the toilet and some very senior-level people would be thrown out on their asses for being retards. The government was caught doing something like that and the worst consequence is that they have to see the public ridicule on the Daily Show.
The fact is this: Obama wants to take money out of the most efficient wealth distribution system ever devised by man and put it into the least efficient corporate entity in the country, where any potential good will be shunted away by Congressional meddling, graft, and outright idiocy. Some recovery plan.

17 Comments:
By the way, yes you were dumping on your anti-abortion friend.
But there is another side to the "easy way out" angle on the "black or white" issue.
Since people can argue both sides of the argument so well, why do we not err on the side of caution?
If human life might begin at conception, why have we chosen to err on the side of what might one day be deemed 40 million homicides?
They are banning PBJs in elementary schools because one kid with a peanut allergy might die from someone else's sandwich -- though it's never actually happened. Yet a child a year older than grade school can get an abortion without parental consent, even though "it's not black and white."
Abortion is so politically and emotionally charged that we've lost common sense on both sides.
There is quite a thorough discussion of abortion over here at Noodlefood. It begins at comment #15.
You and David may find some good arguments about how it really is a black and white issue, that is for everyone but the mother. The mother's decision requires an integration of her life's goals, what makes her happy or unhappy, and how that potential human she is carrying will affect all that. It is a tough position to be in.
House, why does "the most efficient wealth distribution system ever devised by man" still allow some 3.5 million people to experience homelessness in a single year?
Forget what's fair and think about what's efficient... to have healthy, productive members of society in all sectors. To do this it takes health care for minimum-wage workers and unemployment safety nets. This is a very different proposal from taking the rich guy's cash to buy a middle-class person's flat-screen tv.
Its been in so few wealthy people's interests to clothe, house, and feed people that governments step in. The fact that common people can participate in their government to get these things done is what's good about democracy. And Obama's tax/economic plan is a part of that.
BenjaminSpears described the case perfectly: "forget what's fair and think about what's efficient"
That is precisely why communism, socialism, &/or welfare states do no work. The most efficient way IS the fair way. That is why poor people rushed to America while emigration was quite open. That is why poor Americans are better off than the poor anywhere else.
Once a culture throws out what is fair, they soon become more and more unfair, until they democratically elect a Nazi or Hamas government. Both Obama and McCain are on that slide to hell —as has been every American President, at least since and including FDR.
Americans no longer know how to keep, what Benjamin Franklin warned them to keep: a Constitutional Republic respecting individual rights. BenjaminSpears would do well not to be another unAmerican American.
I am a Canadian, and I can see the destruction caused by the kind of policies Obama (& Spears) advocate. Their theory is flawed, has been known to be so for sixty years, yet they still refuse to see why.
"Black and white" doesn't mean that things are simplistic. It simply means that there's an distinct answer to every question, within the proper context. Furthermore, Ayn Rand's position on abortion wasn't about whether it was "right or wrong," which will vary based on the context, but rather whether the question of abortion is within the State's purview. The Objectivist argument is that it's not, that what happens inside of a woman's body is for her to decide, and that the State has no jurisdiction.
Wow, discussion! Sweet.
In this comment, I am only responding to the anonymous comment above. I agree. It's just that my friend did not, which was the issue I was trying to present.
He tried to convince me that through the objectivist lens, abortion HAD to be either right or wrong, because every question has a yes or no answer.
Now, this friend is quite intelligent, and I respect a lot of his opinions. In a way, that's why I decided to call him out on this -- because he's spot on with a lot of things. But with this, I fear he has overstepped the bounds of traditional objectivism.
Thank you for putting it in easier-to-understand terms. I wholeheartedly agree with your point. It's just that sometimes my brain has trouble transferring thoughts to words... haha.
Great commentary, everyone.
Sounds like your 'black and white' friend doesn't consider context. He'd probably say lying is a black and white issue... Lying is always bad. But what if it saves a life? What if a woman comes running down the street screaming, and makes a right turn around the next corner, and then a crazed man with a knife comes running up later and asks "did you see a woman come by? Which way did she go?" Shouldn't you lie?
Of course abortion has its place, but if one can acknowledge at least that it is ending a human life, then you can argue where and when that's acceptable. And if you cannot have that discussion, err conservatively, in the interest of preserving human lives. Life sorts a lot of things out later.
Without any facts to support it, I would just guess there are more women who regret aborting than who regret not aborting.
Richard, my point exactly is that a nation needs to be efficient and fair when they provide the necessary services to foster healthy, productive citizens (not just unfettered private enterprise).
I was uxtaposing Dave Stira's 'most efficient wealth distribution system' with my views that we need a fairer way of distributing resources. I guess you were trying to be even more radical than me...
bjs:
No, not "trying to be more radical", in today's culture my view is more radical. It would not have been in 1780!
I also very briefly explained why "unfettered capitalism" is the only moral (i.e. "fair") politico-economic system. It makes the lives of the poor better than can any system involving government intervention (legislated controls, taxes and redistributive systems). Government intervention never improves efficiency, and is always unfair.
The only role of government lies in the use of retaliatory force against those who initiate force (including fraud) on its citizens. This means the only permissible government activities rinvolve matters of ensuring its citizens' Rights to Life, Liberty and Property. So, only the Police, the Courts and the Military, are necessary.
As I already said, history shows this to be true, as does politico-economic comparisons of present day nations. It is also philosophically valid, as Rand has demonstrated in a host of ways. Probably the best reference is the collection of her articles in Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal, the paperback is cheap. The full set of articles is well worth reading, but the last three chapters show why laissez-faire capitalism is the only moral system.
Her arguments are not Libertarian (a group and view she rejects), as is often claimed. To understand why, another book of similar size is The Virtue of Selfishness, which makes a moral case for individualism, which is the proper foundation for capitalism. Libertarian's 'foundation' is "liberty", which is terribly in correct).
Although the Founding Fathers understood much of what Rand has written on capitalist freedoms, she organized defended it much more correctly, and she added the rational method by which such a conclusion becomes inescapable.
BTW, if you want everything Ayn Rand has to say in awesome song form, pick up a Rush CD or download from albums circa 1976-1991.
I've had a glass of wine and am watching the RNC and getting frustrated, so take this as seriously as you choose.
I want to repeat what I always tell Dave when we get into these types of conversations - I think I would totally buy into the more conservative/"every man for himself" mentality EXCEPT for the fact that we are born into an incredible unequal world, where some children receive high quality public education and support from parents working only 1 job each and other children receive dismally poor education with a single parent working 2 jobs, unable to provide similar support regardless of their will and desire to provide it.
Until you can provide children with the same amount of support and/or same quality education, EVERYTHING that you say is in theory. In theory, everyone has the same opportunity for success but in reality that is just not true. Without providing equal opportunities to all, I think that it is the responsibility of the people in general (carried out by the government that they elect) to help those who received the short end of the stick at birth.
You assume though, that there is no such thing as social mobility. I would argue that America offers some of the most social mobility around. Certainly more than the places in Russia and Eastern Europe where I have been.
I don't think I can say, for sure, how much that is due to free market capitalism, but my initial guess would be that free market capitalism has a lot to do with our degree of social mobility.
The Free Market has everything to do with social and economic mobility! That is why people from all over the world emigrated to America. Those from the East, passed beneath Lady Liberty's torch in awe.
The American Free Market produced the expression "rags to riches to rags, in three generations" because the poor in rags understood the value of work and strived to be rich. Their children inherited the wealth, but could not pass on the lesson to the grandchildren. In many cases the children and grandchildren squandered the wealth of their industrious grandparents.
jenee can surely understand that no matter what century or continent one chooses to examine, few children are born into the same opportunity. Reality does not automatically provide.
Furthermore, no matter how much wealth is stolen from the rich by a government, there will always be some children who do not have the same opportunity as other children. Worse, the notion that it is acceptable to steal wealth from Peter, to pay Paul, will become widely acceptable (it already has)! That open's the Pandora's Box of state regulated favoritism common to dictatorships, be they communist or otherwise. Under such systems, all the unfavored children have a uniformly, absolutely, decreased opportunity for success.
Only in America can anyone who chooses to struggle, obtain great success. Every other system narrows that 'anyone' to favorites, be they family members of some elite, or elite Party members. Again, all the rest have less opportunity.
Sadly, American politicians have been more and more vigorous about hampering that ideal freedom Jefferson, Franklin et al. sought to implement and retain for Americans.
In the coming election both McCain and Obama are probably the MOST anti-American, ideologically, presidential candidates to ever campaign. Their claims to the contrary notwithstanding. Both are eager to steal wealth and redistribute it, and to subordinate YOUR right to life liberty and property to that of the Nation and the poor. The poor have the most to lose under such logic. I would refuse to vote.
Giving up my vote is a ridiculous proposition.
I think much less of one candidate's plan than I do of the other. Therefore, I should vote. Unless clones make it on the ticket in 2076, I will be voting, no matter what douche or turd gets the nomination.
"I think much less of one candidate's plan than I do of the other."
That is because you see a distinction in the degree of evil, or harm, the candidate would do once elected.
Horrendous Collectivism with a touch of religion vs. horrendous Religionism with a big touch of Collectivism is distinguishable. But both Parties are so horrendously evil by the standards of the Founders, that supporting one or the other is ultimately anti-American. That is, sadly, the more moral position is abstention (and, a Libertarian vote is even worse).
I am inclined to believe that not voting would also be horrendously un-American in the eyes of the Founding Fathers.
By your logic, since both things (voting for one or the other, or not voting) are horrendously evil and un-American, I should do neither.
I should neither vote nor abstain. Sounds like a paradox to me.
I'm voting.
I think it was clear that my position is that abstention is more moral than choosing destruction by Democrat vs destruction by Republican. Sarah Palin changes nothing of any importance.
It's a shame that ballots do not come with an "abstention" option that will clearly send the message that the candidates are unworthy of any vote!
Post a Comment
<< Home