Wednesday, September 03, 2008

One of the crazier things that has happened to me in ultimate

Now, this is an interesting event. In 2008, I remember it was, I got up in the morning and made myself a piece of toast. I set the toaster to three - medium brown...

Then, in our second game of the day at Cooler Classic in Wisconsin, we played some team. They were not super, and played with a handful of gash on the field at various times throughout the afternoon.

Anyways, I was covering one of their better handlers. About 0.01 seconds after the disc left the guy's hand on one particular throw, this happened:



As the disc left his hand, I footstomped it. It was not a foul, at least he didn't call it. I somehow caught the disc in midair with my foot, and then brought my leg down with enough force to drive two cleat-holes in it.

Needless to say, that is up there among the craziest footblocks I have ever gotten, along with summer 2005 when I kicked a disc straight up then skied the dude to get the disc.

Next up: getting a footblock and catching it for a Callahan. I will stop playing ultimate on the day that that happens, as I will have reached the pinnacle of my skill set.*

PS- Thank you to the girl whose disc this was, and let me keep it as a conversation piece.

* - (this offer void if I don't feel like quitting if/when said event happens)

1 Comments:

At 1:41 PM, Blogger Russell Howd said...

a summer ago i footblocked-caught a callahan. granted, it was in some youth league and was probably against some high school freshman during the first summer he ever played ultimate. i spiked it nonetheless

 

Post a Comment

<< Home