Meet the new boss -- not the same as the old boss (LT update 7)
My old boss, certified clown, has left. His replacement is awesome, and has given me more work in the past week than in the previous five. I know that I still owe a lot of you responses to various birthday-related well-wishes (thanks, all), but honestly I have just had very little time lately.
That isn't to say all of the new work has been super-exciting. I did, in fact, shred a poopload of old papers (some from the days even before my prior boss). When the job was done, I had spent about 10 hours or so standing at the industrial-size shredder, and filled about six barrel-size garbage bags with shredded documents. The other stuff has been more meaningful and deals with site security and inventorying of stuff in the secure storage area.
The new boss was in a very "hot" place before coming here, so while it's nice for her to get a break here, there are a lot of things that got neglected by my old boss. Being someone who was at very active posts, as you might expect, she wants things to be a bit more structured here. The list of things that need to get done is long, but she's got a whole lot going on -- still getting accustomed to her new post and duties, etc. Hence, more stuff gets delegated to me, thank god.
This weekend, I will be out of town. My friend Artūras plays on a team in a town two hours north from us. They want me to come up and go to one of their weekend practices to give them some pointers. It's a good opportunity to get out of the city (haven't even done that yet, sadly) for the weekend, and of course playing and furthering the cause of international ultimate is always a good thing. I get a free place to stay, and I've already met a few people on his team, so I kind of know some of them.
The town to which I'm going is Zarasai, up by the nuclear power plant and the Byelorussan border. Its coat-of-arms is pretty funny. The top is a deer turning into a fish and the bottom is a wavy sword. Fear the deerfish.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home