Saturday, October 01, 2005

We're under attack!

So I'm standing in the kitchen with my computer blaring that "Singin' in the Rain" remake by Mint Royale (from that commercial everyone saw on the various internet sites). All of a sudden I hear some gigantic booms. At first I thought it was a garbage truck shaking out a dumpster or something, but then I remembered it was a Saturday night. I knew DC employees were lazy, but I figured it was highly unlikely they'd be making up for lost time on a Saturday night.

I got to the window just in time to see a flash and hear another loud BOOM! This could be bad, I thought to myself. Just what this city needs, another terrorist attack. So I opened the window to see if any sirens began howling. Nothing. Weird. I checked the TV and internet news, still nothing. My roommate's phone rings, and the message machine picks up. I faintly here the words "explosion" and "Roosevelt bridge."

"Hoooooooooly fucking Moses," I think to myself. So I call my other roommate who I thought was the one who left the message. He explained to me that it was some sort of fireworks they were launching from the Roosevelt Bridge. He made the comment initially and I agree: why the fuck would they be lighting off fireworks in the middle of goddamn downtown DC, a city that is still infused with a deep fear of terrorist attack, without at least giving some notice! Sucks to be the 911 operator on duty tonight...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home