Saturday, September 03, 2005

Are there standards anymore?

Let me make this perfectly clear. I do not think it is acceptable to bring up your sexual exploits in a group setting. And I'm even more appalled that this even needs to be said. Since when is it acceptable to be sitting down for lunch/dinner/whatever and start talking about how you banged some sorority slut last night? IN A PUBLIC PLACE no less! I'm not going to say no one wants to hear it, because clearly other people do for some reason. Whether you think this affirms your manhood, or whether you just want to keep up your image as a man who gets around, I don't care. Some things you just don't talk about in a setting like a restaurant. This isn't entirely the fault of the story-tellers either. Most of the time, others request that the whole lurid tale be spewed forth to the group. The instigator(s) is/are just as much at fault here.

I can't think of a single time in my life, other than times I've been sitting down with my team here at GW, that anyone has gone into as much embarassing detail about their lives in the bedroom. Not even when I was at a different university playing with a different group of guys. Not even when I was in high school and everyone was just getting into sex and all that. I don't care if everyone else wants to hear about it and I'm the only one who doesn't. Save talking about your conquests when you're in a more isolated setting. In public, it's uncouth. It's embarassing to people like me who try to adhere to accepted norms of behavior in public places. It's rude. It's totally inappropriate. And I lose respect for people when they engage in it because it reflects poorly on you, on the team, and on the student body as a whole. Furthermore, I can guarantee if someone on the team were openly gay and started telling stories of their exploits, everyone would be appalled.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home